Did You Know?
Asbestos has been found in, but not limited to, over 3,000 products in the United States.
Banning of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) timeline:
- In 1973, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) banned spray-on surfacing ACM for fireproofing/insulating purposes.
- In 1975, the EPA banned the installation of Asbestos Pipe Insulation and Asbestos Block Insulation that becomes friable when dry, on units such as hot water tanks and boilers.
- In 1978, EPA banned spray-on for all purposes.
- In 1989, the EPA banned most Asbestos containing products under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
- In 1991, however, the TSCA rule was remanded by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. As a result, most of the original ban set in 1989, which banned the manufacture, importation, processing, and/or distribution of ACM, was overturned.
Due to the TSCA rule being overturned in 1991, as of June 2014, Massachusetts now requires all building materials, regardless of age, to be sampled and tested for ACM prior to any renovation/demolition.The Cardinal management team, from our cost estimators and project managers to licensed superintendents, has the diverse experience to guide your project through to a successful completion. The Cardinal team is anxious to make your vision a reality.
Despite the TSA rule being overturned in 1991, some Asbestos Containing Materials remain banned:
- Corrugated paper
- Commercial Paper
- Specialty Paper
- Flooring Felt
- Any products have not historically contained asbestos/”new uses” of asbestos
Some Asbestos containing products and the manufacture, importation, processing and distribution, are not banned. These products include, but are not limited to:
- Cement corrugated sheet
- Cement flat sheet
- Pipeline wrap
- Roofing felt
- Vinyl floor tile
- Cement shingle
- Cement pipe
- Automatic transmission components
- Clutch facings
- Friction materials
- Disk brake pads
- Drum brake linings
- Brake blocks
- Non-roofing/roofing coatings
Frequently Asked Questions About Asbestos:
Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection:
Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection Regulations:
Massachusetts Department of Labor Standards:
Massachusetts Department of Labor Standards Regulations: